Tech notes.
Blogging can be emotionally rewarding, but professionally damning. Sure, there's a chance it'll come back to haunt me if I move from private to (very) public enterprise, but I understand that there are some people with needs unlike mine. You want to write something, but can't talk about work. Or you have things to say about people but don't want them to read it. You want to write, but not have your writings associated with you in particular.
I've had a LiveJournal for a while, and it has privacy guards built in. Well, Blogger has them in now, so it's possible to lock out entries in a group collaborative blog such as this. It's called the "new Blogger" and it seems to be tied into Google. Details are still coming in, but it seems to be a salvation for those who want to address those concerns and still do the blog thing, as opposed to long established and superior ways of groupthink and info-sharing, like listservs and other, more personal communiqué.
Just letting y'all know; those who've wanted password protection, or semi-anonymity, or a way to say what you really wanted to say in a blog, that it may be available now.
Labels: tech

6 Comments:
Password protection. Me paranoid. Me wanty. Me wanty now.
I hadn't checked out the new blogger. I'll look at it. What it means then is that there are some people who read/comment on this (semi-)frequently who need to join the group or they won't be in on some of the posts.
Opinions aside, the fact is that the new development seems aimed at individuals, who can beter monitor their "no-fly" list; the people who can and cannot see their private entres. Ideally, they'd mark some entries public, if only to show SOME content to some, and be able to add registrants quickly so they don't miss things.
I think it's a great idea, Troy. And I see that you can add people who you want to view your posts by their e-mail address. So that works. Because there are some people who read this who didn't want to sign up as authors, I thought that might cause problems, but it won't.
I'll switch over if there are no objections.
Sounds good to me!
OK, we're new blogger now...I'll keep looking around on here for settings and all. I think if I set it to "only people I choose" then all 12 authors are able to read it in addition to people whose e-mail addresses we add. I'll set it there and let's see what happens...
Post a Comment
<< Home