Stunning result here...
| What American accent do you have? Your Result: The Inland North You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop." | |
| The Midland | |
| The Northeast | |
| Philadelphia | |
| The South | |
| The West | |
| Boston | |
| North Central | |
| What American accent do you have? Quiz Created on GoToQuiz | |
Labels: poll

15 Comments:
Although I do still call it "soda"...don't know why though.
I did that one and it said I had a Philadelphia accent. Seems like it needs a lot more questions. I wonder if I'll start calling it "wudder" again when I move back. I lost it on purpose because you all kept laughing at me :)
I've lost my accent, YAY! No more "Fargo" jokes.
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.
I used to get mocked at Shitlight for pronoucing vague like bag, and by Dave for pronoucing mischievous "mis-cheev-e-ous."
i've been known to pick up "sucker" instead of "lollipop" and "cuss" (when talking to my students) instead of "curse," but i'll stop talking before i'd ever pick up "pop." just can't do it.
"That's a Southern accent you've got there. You may love it, you may hate it, you may swear you don't have it, but whatever the case, we can hear it."
i'm not surprised by this. and it's not soda, it's pop. :-)
"Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak."
And considering I said "different" on every single choice (just as Merriam-Webster would), that means we in the Northeast properly pronounce things, and the rest of you are all idiots. :)
The fact that it says "can barely hear you speak" in Laz's entry takes the cake.
This thing is rigged...I should have had Andy's result, at the worst. There's no way...
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."
This thing is rigged...I should have had Andy's result, at the worst. There's no way...
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot."
I'm Midland, with Southern close behind. This thing needs more questions.
Andy - what the hell are you talking about? I think you misread that one. :)
Andy: Yeah, I'm confused about the "barely" comment, too.
Laz: I said that the words were all different except for "merry" "mary" and "marry." To me those three sound the same.
I used the "Mary, merry, marry" thing on all you crazy midwesterners during my freshman year. I'm endlessly amused how Midwesterners pronounce all three the same, when they're quite different. I mean, jeez, look at the spellings!
I still don't see the difference between Mary and marry, but merry is clearly diffent.
Cy's wife's name is Merry, but I kept thinking it was Mary because that's how they pronounce it. I guess no one actually knows it's really Merry so she just started signing things Mary. That's messed up.
Mary: "a" as in air
Marry: "a" as in at
Merry: IT'S A FRIGGIN' E!!!!!! "Meh-ree"
Post a Comment
<< Home