Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Sharing is caring.

All of this stuff aboout people getting caught with pirated movies, software, and music from places got me thinking. Not scared, just thinking.

Some of these cases are people who buy a bootleg copy on the street. What I’m interested in is the other kind, the kind I’ve indulged in. Small scale, but still verboten, as far as the RIAA, MPAA, and numerous software distributors are concerned.

Person A buys a valid copy of software. Of a movie. Of an album. Person A thinks to themselves, “Hey, B might want this!” And they make a copy for B.

Why would they do that? They BOUGHT it, using their own resources, and they’re willing to simplty GIVE it to someone else. Why do we make mix CDs and copies of albums for friends? And, getting more macro, why do people upload those materials to spaces like the former Napster, LimeWire, BitTorrent and the like? They’re giving something away for free that they (largely) bought for not free. Altruism? Something more base or more complex?

It’s a convoluted question, and I think the answer lies somewhere in the realm of human social engineering and what we learn growing up. What are y’all thoughts? Why would you share other people’s creative property that you legitimately own?

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy sharing music with people when I don't think they would've found it on their own. So I don't mind buying it and then copying it because then I figure if they like it, they'll go buy other CDs by that person on their own. That's what I do if I like what someone has given me. But I also give maybe 2 CDs a year--definitely not on the uploading to Napster scale.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Bigmouth said...

I was never huge into mix tapes, but I used to make them occasionally for friends or family members. I remember making some for my sister when she went off to college, I only put songs of mine that I knew she liked on them. I was always borrowing her stuff, so why not reciprocate? Making somebody a copy of a tape or cd was basically a way to let someone borrow it without any risk of losing the original. The RIAA didn't give a shit about people who made tapes, it was digital copies that got their undies in a bunch. Where does the urge to share come from? I think it's instinctive, people pool their resources to survive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home