oh, I didn't watch that. i was trying to have a relaxing evening at home watching stuff on my tivo without getting angry at anything. i figured i'd catch all the good stuff via the news without having to sit through all the bullshit clapping.
Sorry to break up the liberal hegemony here, but I actually enjoyed Bush's State of the Union. The Dem pud in the response was far worse. That said, I did almost shoot beer out of my nose when Bush brought up human-animal hybrids. A true WTF moment if there ever were one.
i'm quite getting tired of the liberal/conservative tags that get thrown around by both sides; they're empty and misapplied. my dad calls me a liberal although i've voted for republicans on multiple occasions. i think party lines are divisive and harmful and promoted by people on both ends only to further split the country away from the issues that influence people's lives every day.
that being said, i would've felt the same way about not watching the speech if it were a dem up there. i think those speeches are self-serving horse crap that don't address the issues in any meaningful sort of way.
the only thing i am sorry about is that i missed this human-animal comment. where did it come from?
I (mostly) agree with Kim. So, if you could be a human-animal hybrid, what kind of hyrbid would you be? I'd want to be crossed with one of those fish-eating ducks so I could both fly and hold my breath under water.
I don't know. I used to agree with Kim. I've never voted for a republican, but the idea of it never repulsed me until recently.
I honestly don't think I could vote for a republican right now. I simply don't want that party in power, no matter how noble an individual in that party might be.
(and don't give me this McCain bullshit - Mr. Integrity has been on his knees for Bush for years after the slander-job Bush threw his way; a once great man, he's now nothing but a pathetic media whore).
laz, but do you believe democrats are inherently better? do you really think they'll do anything to benefit you or people in need? i don't believe any politico can be honest and noble and hope to be successful in their party.
and, donna, would i get to pick what part of me was animal and what part was human?
Ah good. A flame war. Just what I wanted on a Wednesday night. So, just to understand, it's ok to call people on my side self-serving liars or to make a blanket statement that anything said by them will do nothing but anger you, but when I try to say anything in defense, the "let's not have this partisan discussion" card comes out. I see. I'll just shut up again. Bye!
what i wrote was a good person is a good person no matter what party they come from, but a good politician has to play by party rules no matter what party they come from. if bush gave a good speech, he gave a good speech. but if i don't like listening to any SOTU speech, then i don't like listening to any SOTU speech.
Just to throw in my two cents: Personally, I don't give a rat-human's ass about politics to begin with. I consider myself a "democrat," but that's only because democrat is fed into the Chicago water supply...honestly, in the last election, I didn't want to vote for either moron, but didn't have a choice. I would vote for a Republican if he were better than the Dem, but certainly not Dubya. You could put him up against an actual chimp-pig hybrid, and I'd vote for the chimp-pig 100 times over.
That said, the State of the Union is a waste of time and always has been...it's a worse collection of empty promises than any election campaign, regardless if it's Reagan, Clinton or either Bush at the podium...I had it on as background while I cleaned my aquarium...and didn't hear much of it anyway. :)
Kim - yes, you can pick what attributes you get from the animal!
I consider myself to be liberal, and have no problem defining myself as such, but I'm registered as an independent b/c I don't believe in the 2-party system. I think it is possible to be a loyal democrat or republican and still be a good leader, but as a whole I believe that when politicians put their party first, the country suffers as a whole.
My point is not that all Republicans are evil lying bastards. Just 98 percent of them. Heh. Just kidding, guys, jeez!
My point is that I stand against nearly every aspect of the republican platform as a whole. Therefore, I simply don't want the party with that platform to be the one in power. Why is that so awful?
And for those of you who think you're better than the two-party system, blah blah blah, you're being naive. I'm not trying to be a dick here (sorry if it sounds that way), but come on. The two-party system is what we're stuck with, so you have to work within the confines the government allows. Sure, it's nice to be intelligent and revolutionary and independent-thinking. It's just not realistic. Nader, anybody? Realism trumps idealism when it comes to politics, unfortunately. I don't like it either, but you have to accept it.
but, Laz, because something is set up that way, doesn't make it right. that's MY point. neither party does what really needs to be done for the common good--health care, education, safety (with the preservation of rights)--all of the things that lead to a better way of life and less spending down the road. that's all being sucked away by military spending in war AND peace time by bush and clinton and bush (and everyone before them). even the most 'likable' dems supported the reps' initiatives. NCLB is destroying education every day and most politcos supported that.
and the naive comment is a bit far when it comes to me and, i assume, donna. i don't fail to exist outside that 2 party system. But I still say I choose who I think will do a better job no matter their party. that is why the liberal/conservative label bothers me two party system or not. i'm also registered indp.
I apologize for that. Honestly. I really didn't mean any insult by it.
I just grow weary sometimes of people (many, actually) implying I don't have my independent-thinking street cred and am a brainwashed troglodyte simply because I'm a registered Democrat, think any edge in voting power - no matter who it is - the Republicans have is a terrible thing, and accept the fact that the lesser of two evils is sometimes the right way to go. Not that that's what happened here, just that I tend to get defensive in a hurry as a result of that weariness.
Hell, I voted for Kucinich in the PA primaries, so what do I know...
I'll jump back in here too. I appologize, Kim. My comment wasn't aimed at you. Really, I'm not a Bush guy. I only voted for him once. Yet here are direct quotes as to how others commenting in this blog feel about people of conservative politcal leanings: "repulsed" "unwholesome union of a chimp and a pig" "lazy, incompetent jackasses" "You could put him up against an actual chimp-pig hybrid, and I'd vote for the chimp-pig 100 times over." "My point is not that all Republicans are evil lying bastards. Just 98 percent of them." Frankly, I think these statements are far worse that the whole naive thing, so, overall, I don't feel bad about making a pissy comment.
Laz: Okay. I wasn't implying that people who are registered as a Democrat, Republican, Communist or any other party are wrong -- I meant that I have no faith in either party. It's not voters who I have a problem with, it's the politicians who say, "I believe in a, b, and c, but I'm voting for x, y, and z because that's what everyone else in my party is doing."
22 Comments:
wtf? indeed. Was there s'posed to be a link attached? Or did I miss a huge announcement during the state of the union address (I was at class)?
maybe it's word association day ;)
Bush said it, not me...
oh, I didn't watch that. i was trying to have a relaxing evening at home watching stuff on my tivo without getting angry at anything. i figured i'd catch all the good stuff via the news without having to sit through all the bullshit clapping.
Sorry to break up the liberal hegemony here, but I actually enjoyed Bush's State of the Union. The Dem pud in the response was far worse. That said, I did almost shoot beer out of my nose when Bush brought up human-animal hybrids. A true WTF moment if there ever were one.
i'm quite getting tired of the liberal/conservative tags that get thrown around by both sides; they're empty and misapplied. my dad calls me a liberal although i've voted for republicans on multiple occasions. i think party lines are divisive and harmful and promoted by people on both ends only to further split the country away from the issues that influence people's lives every day.
that being said, i would've felt the same way about not watching the speech if it were a dem up there. i think those speeches are self-serving horse crap that don't address the issues in any meaningful sort of way.
the only thing i am sorry about is that i missed this human-animal comment. where did it come from?
(flame on!)
I (mostly) agree with Kim. So, if you could be a human-animal hybrid, what kind of hyrbid would you be? I'd want to be crossed with one of those fish-eating ducks so I could both fly and hold my breath under water.
I don't know. I used to agree with Kim. I've never voted for a republican, but the idea of it never repulsed me until recently.
I honestly don't think I could vote for a republican right now. I simply don't want that party in power, no matter how noble an individual in that party might be.
(and don't give me this McCain bullshit - Mr. Integrity has been on his knees for Bush for years after the slander-job Bush threw his way; a once great man, he's now nothing but a pathetic media whore).
Vitriol, woo!
laz, but do you believe democrats are inherently better? do you really think they'll do anything to benefit you or people in need? i don't believe any politico can be honest and noble and hope to be successful in their party.
and, donna, would i get to pick what part of me was animal and what part was human?
Ah good. A flame war. Just what I wanted on a Wednesday night. So, just to understand, it's ok to call people on my side self-serving liars or to make a blanket statement that anything said by them will do nothing but anger you, but when I try to say anything in defense, the "let's not have this partisan discussion" card comes out. I see.
I'll just shut up again. Bye!
How can we be sure Dubya isn't a human-animal hybrid? The dude looks like an unwholesome union of a chimp and a pig.
(I should clarify: I'm not for or against Democrats or Republicans in particular. I just don't much care for lazy, incompetent jackasses.)
jim, where did that come from?
what i wrote was a good person is a good person no matter what party they come from, but a good politician has to play by party rules no matter what party they come from. if bush gave a good speech, he gave a good speech. but if i don't like listening to any SOTU speech, then i don't like listening to any SOTU speech.
Just to throw in my two cents: Personally, I don't give a rat-human's ass about politics to begin with. I consider myself a "democrat," but that's only because democrat is fed into the Chicago water supply...honestly, in the last election, I didn't want to vote for either moron, but didn't have a choice. I would vote for a Republican if he were better than the Dem, but certainly not Dubya. You could put him up against an actual chimp-pig hybrid, and I'd vote for the chimp-pig 100 times over.
That said, the State of the Union is a waste of time and always has been...it's a worse collection of empty promises than any election campaign, regardless if it's Reagan, Clinton or either Bush at the podium...I had it on as background while I cleaned my aquarium...and didn't hear much of it anyway. :)
Kim - yes, you can pick what attributes you get from the animal!
I consider myself to be liberal, and have no problem defining myself as such, but I'm registered as an independent b/c I don't believe in the 2-party system. I think it is possible to be a loyal democrat or republican and still be a good leader, but as a whole I believe that when politicians put their party first, the country suffers as a whole.
My point is not that all Republicans are evil lying bastards. Just 98 percent of them. Heh. Just kidding, guys, jeez!
My point is that I stand against nearly every aspect of the republican platform as a whole. Therefore, I simply don't want the party with that platform to be the one in power. Why is that so awful?
And for those of you who think you're better than the two-party system, blah blah blah, you're being naive. I'm not trying to be a dick here (sorry if it sounds that way), but come on. The two-party system is what we're stuck with, so you have to work within the confines the government allows. Sure, it's nice to be intelligent and revolutionary and independent-thinking. It's just not realistic. Nader, anybody? Realism trumps idealism when it comes to politics, unfortunately. I don't like it either, but you have to accept it.
Oh, and not giving a "rat-human's ass" was pretty damn funny. :)
but, Laz, because something is set up that way, doesn't make it right. that's MY point. neither party does what really needs to be done for the common good--health care, education, safety (with the preservation of rights)--all of the things that lead to a better way of life and less spending down the road. that's all being sucked away by military spending in war AND peace time by bush and clinton and bush (and everyone before them). even the most 'likable' dems supported the reps' initiatives. NCLB is destroying education every day and most politcos supported that.
and the naive comment is a bit far when it comes to me and, i assume, donna. i don't fail to exist outside that 2 party system. But I still say I choose who I think will do a better job no matter their party. that is why the liberal/conservative label bothers me two party system or not. i'm also registered indp.
wow, i don't know that we've had this many comments in one post before...esp with comments per length of words of the post ;)
I'm not going to start an arguement, but I feel that the "naive" comment was too close to name-calling for this blog.
I apologize for that. Honestly. I really didn't mean any insult by it.
I just grow weary sometimes of people (many, actually) implying I don't have my independent-thinking street cred and am a brainwashed troglodyte simply because I'm a registered Democrat, think any edge in voting power - no matter who it is - the Republicans have is a terrible thing, and accept the fact that the lesser of two evils is sometimes the right way to go. Not that that's what happened here, just that I tend to get defensive in a hurry as a result of that weariness.
Hell, I voted for Kucinich in the PA primaries, so what do I know...
I'll jump back in here too. I appologize, Kim. My comment wasn't aimed at you. Really, I'm not a Bush guy. I only voted for him once. Yet here are direct quotes as to how others commenting in this blog feel about people of conservative politcal leanings: "repulsed" "unwholesome union of a chimp and a pig" "lazy, incompetent jackasses" "You could put him up against an actual chimp-pig hybrid, and I'd vote for the chimp-pig 100 times over." "My point is not that all Republicans are evil lying bastards. Just 98 percent of them."
Frankly, I think these statements are far worse that the whole naive thing, so, overall, I don't feel bad about making a pissy comment.
Laz: Okay. I wasn't implying that people who are registered as a Democrat, Republican, Communist or any other party are wrong -- I meant that I have no faith in either party. It's not voters who I have a problem with, it's the politicians who say, "I believe in a, b, and c, but I'm voting for x, y, and z because that's what everyone else in my party is doing."
Post a Comment
<< Home