Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Somewhat urgent question...

Have any of you ever heard of the Golden Key International Honour Society? My little brother got an invitation to join it (one time fee of $70), and my parents are intrigued but know little about it and don't want to shell out the money if it's a scam like the "Who's Who" bullshit.

Any thoughts? I looked at the Web site, and it seems to be less scam-ish than "Who's Who," but it would be nice if someone here had a first-hand experience with it.

Comment or email me about it, OK? :)

Oh, and I agree, Troy...when will the Orton Era begin?

9 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they had that in my school. Without looking it up again, I think they were a "service organization" and did a lot of the same stuff as NHS only w/out the GPA requirement. Is he being asked to do it at school or was it a mail solicitation? If it's the former, perhaps if it's a club, but if it's the latter, I'd pass it by for something in school.

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in Golden Key, and I can't tell you what we do. I do have it listed on my CV and put in on applications and stuff. They do give scholarships and have some sort of networking stuff. I don't know if that helps.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger TRoyal said...

NHS was scammy? Damn. I was hype to get into the book.

Kyle Orton possible isn't in either, but he SHOULD be #1 on the Bears' QB depth chart.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, NHS wasn't scammy. I said that I think that Gold Key has many similar goals as NHS. NHS looks good on college apps and helps. I was in it, too.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger e.h. said...

i vaguely remember having a key club in hs that was basically a "feeder club" into golden key. i think kim's recollection is fairly accurate, and if it's only a one-time fee (and i assume his school is sending him this info vs. a random solicitation), i say go for it.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I got hit up for the Golden Key thing in HS, too - I think it's more like NHS than Who's Who. (And it's totally separate from Key Club, which is part of Kiwanis.)

But Jimmy's in it, so he thinks it's ok.

--Kathleen

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Bigmouth said...

Wait, isn't your brother in college? why would he be getting an invitation for a high school honor society?

 
At 9:24 AM, Blogger Andy said...

Yeah, he is in college...and it is a college honor society...for networking, discounts on career exams (MCAT and all those things or whatever) and they do offer post-grad scholarships, I guess.

I don't know how he was solicited for it, but I'll pass on all your comments... :) Thanks!

And I was psyched to get into Who's Who as well, until I realized it didn't mean crap except that my parents shelled out whatever the price was... :)

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I just logged in to the Golden Key website for the first time in a long time and learned that I get discounts on auto insurance, New York Times subscriptions, and some other stuff. There is also a career web thing that might be useful, I suppose. Anyway, I guess it depends on the cost. It's a one-time fee, so if it's not bad then it's probably worth it. If it's expensive, then don't bother.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home