Friday, August 26, 2005

Singles? Or Albums?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9071-1748179,00.html

So, given the industry's move to singles, Time Warner says that it's going to move out of producing albums and instead concentrate on singles. Releasing mini-EPs by releasing three to four tracks at a time is going to protect them from the fact that a hot single, in this day and age of iTunes, gets bought more often than the entire album, which, after the single, may suck hot monkey taint. This way, they reason, there is no need to push anything that isn't a hit or may not be able to generate buzz.

From what I've read, the pro/con goes something like this:
PRO-
-Albums were getting shittier anyway Besides, buy the single you want.
-Instead of boring filler, crappy interludes, the mini-album just gives you good music
-Good acts will release more stuff quicker. instead of 15 or so somgs every year and a half, they may be able to release around that in 3-4 hits in a year's time.

CON-
-Kiss the mom and pop music stores goodbye.
-Being more hit driven, we'll now be innundated with MORE poppy, common denominattor stuff.
-Piracy concerns are likely intensified, as folk will just d/l the somg they want.

I'd like to hear opinions. There are some folk here who do music, and who listen to a lot of it, and buy a lot. Is it time to drop the album as preferred method to bring the music to the masses?

3 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think quality musicians are still going to put out quality whole CDs. I think one hit wonders won't have to worry about the rest of their crap and focus on radio playability. I mean, I remember buying tape (gasp) singles of awful people in the early 90s and I liked that. So why not?

What it might not do, though, is allow "OK" musicians the chance to improve because it will focus on radio play instead of creating better music. That may mean more Hillary Duff and less Radiohead, let's say. And that's sad.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger ML said...

I almost never buy singles, and I don't make mix CDs, and I don't shuffle playlists - I like to listen to entire albums at a time, the way the band wanted it to be heard.

I love the anticipation for a whole new album - I've heard about Pearl Jam's new album for months now, and I'm gonna be damn near giddy when it finally comes out at the end of the year. I couldn't wait for the new Garbage album - I loved it and obsessed over it. I couldn't wait for the new Green Day album - I loved it and obsessed over it. I couldn't wait for the new Weezer album - I loved it and obsessed over it. That's the way it's supposed to be. I don't want four songs at a time. I want 45 minutes at a time (hi-yo!).

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Nato said...

If an album has a few good songs and a lot of bad ones on it, that doesn't imply some flaw with the medium itself.

That means it's a BAD ALBUM.

I'm actually hearing more and more albums where every dang song is just way too good -- anything by the New Pornographers, Mark McAdam's self-produced "Boy Wonder," and from all indications, Sufjan Stevens' new album.

The only thing this tells us, we knew already: large record companies are stupid and greedy, and deserve swift extinction.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home